Thursday, April 2, 2009

My grocery store stops & comparing prices to Aldi

I did ok. It's funny that when I only save around 50%, I don't feel like I did as well! Silly Betsy. Also, I made a run to Aldi for a few things first and compared the prices that I was going to get with my coupons and sales with them.

At Price Chopper my retail costs would have been 19.64. After the sales and coupons, my total was 7.99 making my savings 60%.
Best deals for me:
  • Chex cereal. On sale for 2/$4, I had coupons for .75 off, so I got each box for 1.25. Aldi's Chex brand is 2.19 meaning a 43% savings over Aldi.
  • Fanta Orange soda 8pk. Was 3.79 but I had Micki signed up for Kids Chopper Club, so this months free gift was....an 8 pk of Fanta Soda. It was free.
  • Velvetta was on sale for 3.79 and I had a Q for .55, so my final price was 3.24. Aldi's price for their Velvetta is 3.49. Ok, so that' s only a 7% savings, but it's a savings none the less.
  • Danimals was on sale for 2/$4. I had a coupons for $1/1, so the total was $1 which is a 50% savings. I go the coupons from http://www.fullcup.com/ 's data base.

I actually saved quite a bit a HyVee using their coupons from their sales add. I only had 3 other coupons besides those. I purchased 17.52 retail and paid 8.37 after sales and coupons. That makes my savings 52%.

  • Dole salad was .69 with a store coupon. Aldi's salad runs .99. 30% savings over Aldi.
  • HyVee Spaghetti was .69 with store coupon. Aldi's spaghetti is sold in 2 lbs box for 1.69 making 1 lb of theirs .85. 19% savings over Aldi.
  • Boneless porkchops on sale for B1G1 with a store coupon.
  • Betty Crocker frosting was on sale for 1.48. I had coupons for .55 off from the Betty Crocker website and coupons.com, so my price was .93. Aldi's frosting is 1.09. 15% savings over Aldi.

Hyvee also has C&H sugar on sale for 1.48. I had a .3o Q from 3/15 RP which was going to make my price 1.18. (They were out when I went, so I got a rain check.) Aldi's sugar is 1.54. I will be getting a 23% savings over Aldi.

So, yes, you can save money over Aldi. Not all the time, not all items. But, if you stock up when you get the deals, then you can save more money over time.

So, here ends this days couponing saga.

No comments: