Friday, April 10, 2009

Getting paid to take things from the store isn't bad.

Micki & I ran the gamut today.

Went to HyVee first. The facts are that I bought 14.79 for 7.95. That's a savings of 54%. Micki's job was to write down the numbers I told her and write down the sums I gave her after I counted out the answer with her. See, homeschool goes to the grocery store.
  • I planned to purchase some Betty Crocker Potato mixes that were on sale for 1.18. I had a coupon for .40/1, BUT when I got there, they actually had some boxes with peelie coupons for $1/2 which means I saved .50 off each. The final cost was .68 each. Aldi's regular price for the same kind of item is .96, so I got it 30% cheaper than Aldi.
  • Birdseye vegetables on sale for .88. I had a .35 coupon on each, so the final price for each was .53.

Then we went to Walmart. Micki took things in her own hands and started writing down prices of her choosing, so it wasn't that helpful to me, but still educational and fun for her. Oh, you wanted to know what I did with coupons, huh? Well first, let me explain that Walmart can be a little challenging because the prices are different in different areas, so while I might gain some things from the list on Becentsable.net, I may not get some of the items since the price may be more here and not worth it.

At Walmart, I purchased 25.73 and ended up paying 7.51. That's a 71% savings. What was also cool was that the man behind me was VERY impressed with what he saw me do and asked me for imformation and websites so he can share it with his wife.

  • Knorr Rice or Pasta mixes (they used to be Lipton) were priced at .98 which is about the same as the same item at Aldi, but I had a coupon for .75/2 from Ss 4/15 which made them about .50 each. That's 49% cheaper than Aldi.
  • Quaker Rice cakes sell for 1.66 each. My coupon from 3/29 was for 1.00/1 making my final price .66 each. They are 1.29 at Aldi. I saved 49% off Aldi's price.
  • Dannon Activa was regularly 2.00 and I had a 1.00 coupon making the final price for the yogurt 1.00.
  • Yoplait Kids yogurt sells for 2.27. I had a coupon for 1.50, so my final price is .77. 66% savings.
  • Yo-Plus yogurt is 1.98. Had a 1.00/1 coupon from coupons.com, so final price was .98
  • Rimmel Mascara is 6.47. The April edition of All You Magazine which is sold at Walmart has a coupon for a free Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara, so that means it was free

Finally ran back to Walgreens for those Speed Stick deoderants that I saw on sale for $1 each. I a coupons from 3/29 SS for .75/2 which means I got those for around .62 each. Aldi's deoderant is 1.89 each which means what I bought today was 67% cheaper than Aldi's. I also picked up one of the Colgate toothpastes that give you 3.50 RR back. So, my total retail was 7.49 and it ended up being 5.99 after coupons. I turned in $5.00 worth of Register Rewards making my final price .99, but wait remember they were going to give me 3.50 for that toothpast I purchased which means Walgreens ended up paying me 2.51 to get deoderant and toothpaste!

One of the things that I have learned is that you can't used RR to purchase the same thing and get more register rewards. For instance, I had a 3.50 Register Rewards that I received from my toothpaste purchase last time. I couldn't use it this time if I wanted to receive the RR for the toothpaste this time.

I don't think I'll be doing any shopping tomorrow, so my next opportunity will be Monday after we get the papers on Sunday.

No comments: