Saturday, May 29, 2010

Here's the catch--kind of...

Ok, so I've been using my new Walgreens rewards card, and I think I have found the one possible downer.  You earn points based on what you spend which means all those time you pay just pennies, well guess what, you earn 0 points.  I made two purchases that ended up being under $1 each time and earned no points for them because the minimum is 10 point for $1 retail (without tax).

On the other hand, there are seem to be products each week that previously would have been a Register Reward item that now earn you points.  Since the Kansas City area is one of the test markets, there were times last week that others earned some RR which we didn't, but we could earn 300 points or so.  Seeing that made me wonder a few things. 

First, is Wags going to fade out RR for points?  Second, I second guessed purchasing the item because points didn't seem like enough incentive when compared to earning "free money" so to speak.  Finally, I wondered about the benefit of earning points when it takes 2000 points to earn a $5 Wags card.  So, here was an item that others were earning $2 in RR while I would only be earning 300 points which isn't even $1 worth of points (2000/$5=400). 

Does that make sense?

So, my vote is still out on this new rewards program. 

No comments: